[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup] Win32 port

Gary boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 16:27:48 GMT 2005

Ben,

As a sidenote:

> 2) Some extra features, for example, the
> dumping of state to disc.

Yes, those are the changes that I implemented to make boxbackup work in
my environment. A copy off a clean 0.09 is available at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gniemcew/

So it should be easy to create a differential.

1. StoreObjectInfoFile is just a nice improvement, but it does save a
lot of backup time when boxbackup is used in a non-server environment
when a machine is rebooted frequently (a laptop, etc.)

2. Unlimited MaximumDiffingTime is useful if a user has to absolutely
minimize upload time (slow upload connections, etc.)

3. KeepAliveTime is absolutely crucial to complete backups of large
files (otherwise, the SSL layer times out after 300 seconds of
diffing). Even though the 0.09-chromi speeds up the diffing time
substantially, I still run into this problem from time to time, so that
option still has its merit.

Let me know if you want me to produce a diff, a branch, a marge,
perhaps rewrite some of the code - I would be happy to see those
improvements in the next version of boxbackup.

Gary