[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup] Win32 port

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 17:47:56 GMT 2005

Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:
>    I'm no bdb guru, but is db4 not backwards-compatible with previous
>    versions? Shouldn't it be possible to write the code so that it works
>    with any version of bdb?

No, it isn't.

I'm not sure what the rationale is for using 1.85 (? from memory). I
would prefer to port to V4 fully unless there are good reasons. I can
only assume it is because bdb is notorious for having binary
incompatible data files between releases, and therefore a lot of people
pick a version and stick with it. I'm not sure that really matters for
box, since the files are only really a cache anyway.

Cheers,

Martin.