[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup] Win32 port

Jonathan Morton boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 01:36:31 GMT 2005

--Apple-Mail-1-993369044

>> I would be sad if the future version of BoxBackup did not include the
>> KeepAlive time/command - it would make the product unusable for me
>> (even with the excellent 0.9-chromi, KeepAlive is still needed for
>> diffing 4GB files, otherwise you diff for only 300 seconds and upload
>> 1GB+ each time over possibly a slow upload link).

I've mentioned the "right" fix before.  It is rather more code-
intrusive than my present patch, but avoids the need for keep-alives
and also fixes one or two other problems at the same time.  But until
that goes in, the only way to deal with very large files is to use a
faster CPU or insert keep-alives.

>> I think the way to go would be to:
>>
>> 1.) Modify vanilla 0.9 to better structure the observer code.
>> 2.) Re-apply the KeepAlive >>command<< 0.9-mod parts.
>> 3.) Manually add the KeepAlive >>observer<< to the (improved) 0.9
>> code.
>
> I think it's important to get these changes in. But I wouldn't
> recommend
> working off vanilla 0.9 for anything now, so many already parallel
> codepaths we're still trying to merge. Hopefully in a couple of weeks
> we'll have those collapsed down onto trunk, then would be the time to
> dive in and code up the proper fix on a branch.

I've cleaned up my code in SVN, so it is probably ready to be merged.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at chromatix.org.uk
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/

--Apple-Mail-1-993369044