trunk is now autoconf'd (was Re: [Box Backup-dev] Reviewing code -- help!)

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 17:44:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 15:56 +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
> If so, can Martin (seeing as he's good at SVN and I'm afraid of
> merging) merge chromi/diffopt and martin/autoconf into trunk?

Done.

There's nothing magic about this, honest! This is a full list of svn
commands I typed to do the two merges (you'll see they look a lot like
the diff commands we used before):

svn merge -r1:116 chromi/diffopt trunk
svn ci -m "Merged chromi/diffopt at r116 to trunk"
svn merge -r11:35 martin/autoconf trunk
svn ci -m "Merged martin/autoconf at r35 to trunk"

I did a bit of checking diffs etc before checking in, but that covers
the full merge.

trunk is now fully autoconf'd. In order to compile it from now on, you
need the following installed:

autoconf
automake (for aclocal, autoheader)

The commands you need to type are:

./bootstrap
./configure

Then use make in the normal way. If you want to link in GNU readline
(eg. on Linux), you'll need to use:

./configure --enable-gnu-readline

But beware if you do this, you can't distribute the binaries because it
will violate the licence conditions on readline.

When it comes to making a tarball release the process is just to
run ./bootstrap before tarring up. This makes all the generated
configure related files so the user just needs to do ./configure && make
in the normal way. I need to add some documentation about this at some
point.

Note that once ./bootstrap is run there is no further use of autoconf or
automake, so normal installers do not need these. Some projects check
these generated file in so people can check out svn and run it without
needing autoconf installed. I'm not convinced on the merits of this, but
am open to discussion etc.

Just run the merged trunk through the tests. raidfile has failed
entirely. Have to look into why.

Everyone please test trunk now, especially on any unusual platforms you
can, there's bound to be some more autoconf fixes needed.

Cheers,

Martin.