[Box Backup-dev] Build system

Jonathan Morton boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 13:29:26 GMT 2005

--Apple-Mail-21--938539362

> I have a question about the Box build system. All the libraries
> (common.a, etc.) have make targets that depend on the dep_modules
> target, which is a phony target. As a result, make always rebuilds
> the library.
>
> This is quite slow on Cygwin, and I'd like to avoid it if possible.
> I can see why rebuilding an executable might require its
> dependencies to be built first, but I don't think that's true for a
> library. It should be possible to compile the module files and
> assemble the library even if its dependencies aren't built first.
>
> Could we safely remove the dep_modules dependency from library
> Makefiles?

What you could do is have the dep_modules rule touch a dep_modules
file as it's last act, and additionally itself depend on the files it
examines.  That would fix the problem sufficiently well, while
keeping the dependency information up to date even for libraries.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at chromatix.org.uk
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/

--Apple-Mail-21--938539362