[Box Backup-dev] 07-win32-fixes

Jonathan Morton boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 20:11:08 GMT 2005

--Apple-Mail-5--655237838

>> I'd also like to request that in future we don't proliferate so
>> many branches. I checked out a working copy of the whole
>> repository and it takes 2.5GB of disk!
>
> But copying is free (on the server) and making a copy is supposed
> to be a standard (only?) way of creating a tag or branch with SVN,
> as far as I know. I don't think you're supposed to check out the
> whole repository :-).

Whether you're supposed to do it or not, people do.  Especially the
people who are supposed to merge it all.  Anyway, copying is free on
the *server*, but can be very expensive on the client, which doesn't
have the luxury of making hard-links all over the place.

Most of the problem seems to be that the Win32 port branch contains
an entire copy of the Boost library for each sub-branch - presumably
only the XML features of Boost were actually required, and in any
case Boost should be installed separately from the application on a
developer's machine.  Boost itself is not modified for use in BB, so
why include it in version control?

>> We want to make big changes on a branch, and occasionally it is
>> useful to create a new branch, but I don't think it helps to
>> create a new branch for each cumulative change to a tree. In SVN
>> each checkin is referred to by a single number so unlike CVS it is
>> always easy to cherry pick complete changes out of the history.
>> With a suitable log comment each point in time is just as
>> accessible on a single branch line as it is by branching at each
>> stage.
>
> But searching through log comments is much harder than looking
> through a directory tree. Nevertheless, if people don't want me to
> create so many tags, I will refrain.

"Much harder" should not be confused with "not familiar".  It is
quite easy to retrieve the commit log for any given directory, and
produce an individual diff covering each individually or any
combination.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi at chromatix.org.uk
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/