[Box Backup-dev] 07-win32-fixes

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 20:57:37 GMT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

>>  But copying is free (on the server) and making a copy is supposed to
>>  be a standard (only?) way of creating a tag or branch with SVN, as far
>>  as I know. I don't think you're supposed to check out the whole
>>  repository :-).
>
> Whether you're supposed to do it or not, people do.  Especially the
> people who are supposed to merge it all.

I never asked anybody to merge every single branch I ever made :-) But I'm
quite happy to delete the old tags now that I don't need them anymore. I'm
also quite happy to do the merging if people want me to (and I promise not
to check out the entire repository :-)

> Most of the problem seems to be that the Win32 port branch contains an
> entire copy of the Boost library for each sub-branch - presumably only
> the XML features of Boost were actually required, and in any case Boost
> should be installed separately from the application on a developer's
> machine.  Boost itself is not modified for use in BB, so why include it
> in version control?

I didn't check in Boost, and it was one of the first things that Martin
and I removed from our working copies. It's only there in the old,
obsolete branches (some belonging to other people, that I didn't want to
touch).

> "Much harder" should not be confused with "not familiar".  It is quite
> easy to retrieve the commit log for any given directory, and produce an
> individual diff covering each individually or any combination.

Well, it's not how I was taught to use SVN by the book. But I'm happy to
do it that way if people prefer.