[Box Backup-dev] Getting trunk ready for release

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 11:16:47 GMT 2005

On 15 Dec 2005, at 09:03, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 03:10 +0000, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>
>> - Raidfile tests break horribly.  This is a regression from a day or
>> two ago, when merging the win32 port suddenly made them all work.
>
> I've not seen these work since before the win32 stuff merged. 240
> failures or something. Are you sure you saw them work after the win32
> stuff?
>
> I looked at this last night. The first failure for me was line 1298 in
> RaidFileRead.cpp:
>
> 	// Lovely!
> 	length = stripe1LastData ^ parityLastData;
> 	// Convert to host byte order
> 	length = box_ntoh64(length);
> 	ASSERT(length <= (paritySize + stripe1Size));
>
> Length has rubbish in it, presumably because one or both of the
> LastData
> vars are wrong. I couldn't see why and didn't debug further, it was
> gone
> 1 am this morning. :)

lib/raidfile is scarily complex. I have begun to regret writing it.

I will look into this as soon as I get a chance. I hope this will be
in the next few days -- got a few urgent things to finish first, all
while suffering from a nasty cold.

>> - One other test fails:  bbackupd, apparently in the "interrupted
>> restore" test.  This is probably a fault in the test script or the
>> front-end, without affecting actual operation, but best to fix it
>> either way.
>
> Tried this one in debug mode and it failed to start bbackupd due to
> the
> time assert I mailed about last night. Didn't get any further.

Again, I'll get that one going too.

>> - Compilation emits warnings in a few places.
>
> Most of the warnings for me are due to 64 bit and printf. At some
> point
> it needs to be ostreamed.

I trust this won't involve nasty operator overloading for I/O. :-)