[Box Backup-dev] [OT] Autoconf nesting

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 18:04:32 GMT 2005

Hi Martin,

> I'll rename the config.h to contain 'box'. That one has annoyed me before
> elsewhere.

It's not so much the file name that bothers me (yet) but the defines
inside.

> As to the defines, I'm not sure if there's a way of renaming those. I'll
> check later.

I didn't see any obvious way to achieve it, but if config.h could only
define PACKAGE_* if they're not already defined, it would fix the issues
I'm having.

> // Remove config defines which should never have escaped log4cxx headers
> # include <log4cxx/logger.h>
> # undef PACKAGE
> # undef PACKAGE_BUGREPORT
> # undef PACKAGE_NAME
> # undef PACKAGE_STRING
> # undef PACKAGE_TARNAME
> # undef PACKAGE_VERSION
> # undef VERSION

Yeah, I did that too, as a quick hack.

> That's a problem with static libraries. It would be nice to make some
> kind of shared library for box at some point. That would contain
> dependencies itself on other libraries so it would just work. However,
> this is a post 0.10 task since we all want a release asap.

It would be great, but I agree that we shouldn't delay the next release of
BB for it.

> For now, including chunks from box configure would make sense.

OK, will do, thanks.

> Should be entirely feasible. Just pick the bits you need and include the
> infrastructure/m4 directory from box into your configure.ac.

Unfortunately the only way I found to include infrastructure/m4 (by adding
"-I boxbackup/infrastructure/m4" to the aclocal command line in Boxi's
autogen.sh) breaks compilation, because some important variables in the
intl package makefiles aren't substituted any more. I guess there's a
conflict between one of Boxi's m4 macros and one of BB's. I'm still trying
to track it down.

Thanks for your help!