[Box Backup-dev] NDEBUG in Win32 release (was: COMMIT r279 - box/chris/win32/vc2005-compile-fixes/lib/backupclient)

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 11:30:18 GMT 2005

Hi Ben,

> [snip]
>>  +#ifndef WIN32
>>  	TRACE2("Reallocating EncodingBuffer from %d to %d\n", mBufferSize,
>>  NewSize);
>>  +#endif
> [snip]
>
> Set NDEBUG as a preprocessor definition in your release build settings, and
> all the trace statements will not be compiled in. It'll also remove some code
> which really shouldn't be in a release build.

I considered that, but I _really_ want exception logging with source files
and line numbers in these builds. Unless I hack about with Box.h, the only
way to get them seems to be compiling without -NDEBUG.

What's the extra code, assertions and memory leak checks? Assertions I'm
quite happy to keep, and memory leak checks don't bother me too much
unless they have a huge performance impact or are likely to crash Box in
different ways.