[Box Backup-dev] BoxBackup on AIX 5.3

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 17:12:28 BST 2006

Stefan Norlin <stefan.norlin at infoflexconnect.se> wrote:
> * Detection of GNU make in the should probably be done some
> other way. I only modified infrastructure/BoxPlatform.pm.in as
> per the attached "svn diff".

Yes, that should be autoconfed properly.

> * Added AC_SEARCH_LIBS([pthread_cond_init], [pthread])
> as per the attached "svn diff".

Box doesn't use threads. Why do you need libpthread?

> * I had to use PLATFORM_CLIB_FNS_INTERCEPTION_IMPOSSIBLE
> as per the attached "svn diff".

This section needs some tlc. The whole interception thing just doesn't =20
work very reliably, but noone has come up with anything better yet.

> * You should always set CONFIG_SHELL as per below on
> AIX, otherwise configure runs VERY slowly
> * /opt/freeware/bin/install should be used instead of /usr/bin/install
> in the parcels/scripts/install-backup-* scripts. Otherwise nothing
> will be installed... :)

Presumably these two are fairly common issues when compiling external source=
?

> Could maybe be "solved" by setting PATH=3D/opt/freeware/bin:$PATH
> in the script. A good idea anyway on AIX since all "working" binaries
> are actually located there first hand. :)

Is that workaround needed for other packages? I this something that =20
can reasonably be in the install documentation?

> * For some reason some header files only works if one disable
> large file support. Other persons has run across this as well:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.berkeley-db/browse_thread/th=
read/d1daf868181733b8/3473aad40f3d8df2%233473aad40f3d8df2

Can't remember if we've got a --disable-large-file option. We can add =20
one if not.

> The result from this adventure was that bbackupd does not start
> due to it cannot the config file... the "bbackupquery" command
> connects to the server, "usage" works, but "ls" causes an
> exception to be thrown.

Good luck!

Martin.