[Box Backup-dev] Where to put my bug fixes?

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 14:29:24 BST 2006

Hi Martin and all,

> I'd like to apologise for being silent on your proposed patches so far.
> I glanced at them and decided there was rather a lot so I thought I'd
> come back to it - assuming I found some time! It would be daft to not
> merge changes after the hard work has been put in, just for lack of
> review, so it is important to find the time somehow.

OK, thanks. I'm glad there is some interest in reviewing them :-)

> One thing that would help is knowing what all of the individual changes
> are. It's generally easier to review small self contained groups of
> related changes together rather than a whole branch with lots happening.
> You don't need to make branches, but if you could just list SVN
> revisions you'd like to merge, grouped together where appropriate, that
> would help. When I looked before I couldn't see how you'd arrived at
> what was in the merge branch, it just seemed to have sprung into
> existence.

That would be a bit difficult, because there are often several revisions
before arriving at the final version of a particular change. I was trying
to do that by posting patches to the list, with comments, but they were
ignored. Ben suggested that I should be trying to track the changes
through SVN, so I created the merge branch.

What I've done so far with the merge branch is committed all the patches
that I think are uncontroversial. I understand that there are a
significant number of them, but I think they are the trivial ones, not
requiring explanation, so I committed them in one go.

If you disagree about the triviality of any patch, please tell me so, and
I'll yank it from merge, for now.

If you have any questions, please raise them, and I will try to answer
them quickly, or yank the patch. Or you can review the svn log for the
same file(s) in my working branch (chris/general) to determine why I
changed what I did.

After these changes are merged, the differences between trunk and general
will be significantly less. The remaining changes will be the more
controversial ones requiring closer analysis. Therefore, I propose to
separate out individual changes from general, and merge them to the merge
branch one at a time, with comments. I will point these commits out to the
dev mailing list, and remind people about them until they are committed to
trunk. This will be rather a slow process, I'm afraid.

I hope that this process satisfies everyone, but comments, questions and
constructive criticism are welcome.