[Box Backup-dev] wiki page changes

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 21:10:07 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 21:52 +0200, Stefan Norlin wrote:
> Basically all development is done in project branches (sometimes in
> one instance, sometimes in multiple, personal, ones), then everything is
> merged into the mainline (trunk) from which a release branch is created
> when it is time for release. All testing and "last-minute" fixes are done
> in the release branch and then a label is set when a release is done.

That sounds pretty much like what we're suggesting, which is reassuring!
The only difference is that I think it works better to always merge from
trunk onto a release branch and not the other way around. Otherwise you
invariably end up merging both ways and that gets confusing. Things
should be tested on trunk and only merged to the release branch if they
are good fixes. And we're only talking about merging occasional valuable
fixes here.

Commercially it seems more common to develop on the release branch and
merge to trunk but then they often do significant development on
branches and maintain several of them for long periods of time. Open
source tends to be more fast moving and work the other way round.

Cheers,

Martin.