[Box Backup-dev] DocProject editing setup

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 05:57:23 BST 2006

Thanks, Per.

I already had java on my ubuntu dapper box by downloading and running
automatix. (Debian and ubuntu don't like sun java because it is not
free as in freedom.)

I downloaded xxe from the website
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/download.shtml
specifically xxe-std-3_4_0.tar.gz
and followed the simple instructions under Description on that page.

Per Martin, I ran

svn co http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/trunk boxbackup

and that downloaded the entire box backup product (revision 778; 3327
files) in just a few seconds.

In the xxe bin directory, I ran

./xxe

and the java window opened.  I then tried to open the svn-downloaded
file:

boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup/adminguide.xml

but I get error

Cannot open boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup/adminguide.xml"
.../boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup/ExceptionCodes.xml (No such file
or directory)

{Gosh I wish error messages were all swipe-able for copying and
pasting...Chris, please take note for Boxi.)

Can you please help me past that error?

Opening boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup/instguide.xml worked
perfectly, and I'm poking around that now.  I made a junk change to
that file in xxe and saved it.  I also ran the menu option, DocBook,
Convert Document, and made an html file; it wasn't pretty, but quite
useable.

How do I make a pretty html page like
http://www.reedtz.com/boxdoc/instguide/ ?

In the svn-downloaded .../boxbackup/ directory, I then ran, per Martin,

svn diff

and it reported exactly the change that I made.  And then,

svn st

showed a list of the changed filename(s).

I'll try to make a real change and submit it to trac, perhaps over the
weekend.

Progress!

Thanks again, Per and Martin,
Pete