[Box Backup-dev] DocProject editing setup

Per Thomsen boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 18:50:21 BST 2006

On 8/12/06 6:05 AM, E.W. Peter Jalajas wrote:
> Thanks, Per.
>
> Maybe these are bugs:
> 1) No rule to make target `../../ExceptionCodes.txt

I am making the assumption that the development environment has been
bootstrapped. That may be a bad assumption.

To resolve, go to the top-level directory (trunk or the like), and type

    ./bootstrap && ./configure

That gets the development environment ready for building, including
creating ExceptionCodes.txt. I require ExceptionCodes.txt, so I have the
latest error messages from the code directly.

I suppose there is a way to make that happen from within my Makefile. I
will look into that.
> 2) Error: no ID for constraint linkend:
> 3) Missing box-html images.
> 4) Low priority: no index.html in man-pages dir.
> 5) Low priority: .there file in man-page dirs.

Not sure I understand what your comment is here. Is there a problem with
the .there files?
> Slightly edited screen swipes as follows:
[snip]
> Then I ran make and saw these errors:

[snip]
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: instguide.xml.
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: instguide.sgml.
> Writing ch01.html for chapter
> Error: no ID for constraint linkend: bbackupquery.xml.
> Writing ch02.html for chapter
> Writing apa.html for appendix

[snip]

Yeah, I get these errors, too. Have to admit that I did not notice them
before. Will look into. Has to do with the cross-linking of separate
documents.
> I then did cd to the xxe bin directory, ran ./xxe, opened the
> adminguide.xml, got an ignorable, I think, Information window about
> ExceptionCodes needing to be edited separately if desired, and then the
> adminguide.xml opened fine.
>
> Next, I tried to open the just-created adminguide.html in a browser,
> file:///home/public/pete/teb/cli/bu/doc/boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup/box-html/adminguide/index.html
> but it was missing images and wasn't much better than the one I made
> from inside xxe.

Hmmmmm... This could definitely do with some improvement for the doc
developer... What I did, was to create a make target (dockit) which
creates a tar file with all the stuff you need to install the HTML
documentation on a web server. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you when
trying to look at the changes you've made.

I will fix that this weekend, and check in a new Makefile that will
build you a place where you can look at the HTML using a file:/// URL.
> kids at brick:/home/public/pete/teb/cli/bu/doc/boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup$
> find | grep png$
> ./html/images/stepahead.png
> ./html/images/bblogo.png
> ./html/images/arrow.png
>
> Then man pages in ./box-html/man-html/bbstored-config.html
> seemed fine, but maybe with an extra carriage return after every line.
>
> Would be nice to have: an index.html in the man-pages directory.

Yes. Thats' on my list.
> Otherwise, opening
> file:///home/public/pete/teb/cli/bu/doc/boxbackup/documentation/boxbackup/box-html/man-html/

[snip]

Thanks for trying it out. Glad you're on board!

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen at reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561