[Box Backup-dev] Error logging

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Dec 16 16:23:48 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Pete Jalajas just added an interesting request to the FeatureRequests page
on the Wiki:

"Please add some code to the client to log on what BackupLocation, Path,
and sub-directory it is working. We had a bbackupd.conf with about 10
BackupLocations. Another person in the company removed one of those Paths
without telling us admins, causing the backup to fail with a "permissions"
error (I think it was Exception: Common OSFileError (Error accessing a
file. Check permissions.) (1/9)). Because there was no file or directory
to report as being bad, the log did not report anything except the
permissions error. (I believe ExtendedLogging was set to Yes, and we still
did not get any helpful information.) It took us quite a while to delete
BackupLocations to find which one caused the problem. (Of course, now
files in all those locations are marked as deleted, ugh.) Had the log
reported what BackupLocation, Path, or sub-directory it was working on, we
could have diagnosed the problem more easily. (PeteJ 2006-12-14)"

I consider this a bug, since Box Backup was not working and did not
provide enough information to help fix the problem. I've committed a fix
to my merge tree:

[http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/changeset/1222]

I know that Martin is against adding random feature requests as bug
tickets, and I can see why, but in cases like this, I would suggest that
we encourage people to add them, and that we create a ticket for this one.
Comments?