[Box Backup-dev] Using box-backup without daemon, via a remote shell (like rsync)

Scott McNee boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Dec 26 23:18:19 GMT 2006

------=_Part_68708_2816753.1167175099163

Hi Guys

An alternative to sshfs would to to use rsync as has been discussed many
times to backup the bbstored store. This has the benefit of partial /
resumable transfers and has been tested successfully with box.

(Rsync can be configured to run in the foreground if I remember correctly.)

BTW Merry xmas and other such things.
Thank you all for your hardwork this year. I am eagerly awaiting the next
release of box with all it's enhancements.

On 27/12/06, Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 14:27 +0200, Andrei wrote:
> >> I think it would be useful if the box-backup client could connect to a
> >> linux server via a standard ssh connection on port 22 (using linux
> >> username and password), and then communicate with the box-backup
> >> server via pipes (so no network connections will be involved).
> >>
> >> This would help using box-backup on servers that do not allow
> >> listening daemons or persistent processes but do allow connecting
> >> through ssh. The box-backup server maintenance could be executed
> >> manually through a cronjob.
> >
> > You can do this using ssh port forwarding already, although that is
> > obviously a bit of work to set up.
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't work if daemons are not allowed on the remote
> host. Although you could start the store daemon when the backup starts and
> kill it afterwards.
>
> Another way might be to mount the remote storage box using sshfs on the
> client, and run the store and backup daemons on the client.
>
> Cheers, Chris.
> --
> _ ___ __     _
>   / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |
> / (_/ ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Security/C/C++/Java/Perl/SQL/HTML Developer |
> \ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU-free your mind-and your software |

Thank you.

Scott McNee
Manager

M : 0415 10 44 10
T : 07 3274 3933
E : scott at bizebox.com.au

"backing up your business"
http://www.bizebox.com.au

DISCLAIMER
This transmission is confidential and intended for the addressee only. If
you have received it in error, please delete it and notify the sender.
Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed in this E-mail are
those of the author only and do not represent the official view of bizEbox.
bizEbox checks all inbound/outbound e-mail for Viruses. However, we advise
that this e-mail and any attached files should be re-scanned to detect
viruses. bizEbox accepts no liability for loss or damage (whether caused by
negligence or not) resulting from the use of this or any attached files.

------=_Part_68708_2816753.1167175099163

Hi Guys <br><br>An alternative to sshfs would to to use rsync as has been discussed many times to backup the bbstored store. This has the benefit of partial / resumable transfers and has been tested successfully with box.<br>

------=_Part_68708_2816753.1167175099163--