[Box Backup-dev] Deficiency in test system (was: Box on Solaris 10 x86)

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 09:33:02 GMT 2006

On 1 Feb 2006, at 23:58, Per Thomsen wrote:

> So it was the same (old) bbstored process that kept hanging around
> through about 25 test runs, until I noticed it. After it was gone,
> everything was hunky-dory again.

Perhaps we need to spew out a note about this when running tests. Two
things it needs to point out

1) Some of the tests are a bit timing dependent, so failure does not
necessarily mean it hasn't worked.

2) Failure in one daemon based test may stop the next tests from
running because of bbstored and bbackupd processes kicking around.

1 is hard to fix, given the nature of the thing we're testing,
although we might want to mark some of the tests as "timing
dependent" and report their failure separately. However, 2 could be
fixed by somehow killing off any processes started by the test. I'm
not sure there's some wonderful cross platform way of finding them
automatically though.