[Box Backup-dev] Win32 build

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 09:59:55 GMT 2006

On 2 Feb 2006, at 23:38, Chris Wilson wrote:

>> Add
>>
>>  distribution/boxbackup/WIN32.txt
>>
>> and write some notes which explain how to build on win32, with all
>> the various variants (which is Cygwin, Native with MinGW, Native
>> with MSVC).
>
> There are already some notes in trunk/docs/backup which describe
> how to build with MinGW on Windows and MinGW on Linux. I've yet to
> write up how to build with MSVC, except on the Wiki, but the text
> of that page could probably be copied into a text file reasonably
> easily.

Sorry, missed those. Since it's so different for Win32 users, it
perhaps this file should live in the root?

>> Clean up trunk/ -- there's a few bits there which look Win32-ish.
>
> Please point them out - I'm working on removing #ifdef WIN32 where
> I can, but we don't have a platform define for it yet, and some
> things seem to make more sense as being conditional on WIN32 rather
> than conditional on a particular compiler.

bbackupctl.vcproj
bbackupd.vcproj
boxbackup.sln
boxbackup.suo
boxquery.vcproj
common.vcproj
win32test.vcproj

>> What's win32.bat? If it's important, add it to DISTRIBUTION-
>> MANIFEST.txt, as it won't get copied by default. It implies it's
>> for cygwin, is it also relevant to Win32 native?
>
> It's the equivalent of "configure" for win32 msvc, and it's only
> relevant for that platform.

OK.

Looks like we could auto-generate it on creation of the distribution
archive by scanning the Makefiles for directives.

>> Now the only thing is that everything is designed to be a generic
>> framework for building files, and all this is terribly Box Backup
>> specific. Given the way MSVC works, I don't think there's much
>> that can be done.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you're suggesting should be done
> (ideally).

I build other things using this framework. The Win32 stuff is all
very Box Backup specific.

>> And finally, it'd be nice not to build lib/win32 on non-win32
>> platforms.
>
> Yes. Should be easy with platforms.txt and ONLY:mingw32.

Martin has committed some changes to makebuildev.pl which do the
trick. It needed to be a bit more clever because of the way things
were structured.