[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup] Danish and other special chars

Gary boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 18:47:13 GMT 2006

> We should keep on supporting cross-platform restores.

Most definitely.

> Internally, I think standardising on UTF-8 is the way to go. It seems
> to be the approach taken by the major OS vendors for POSIX access to
> filing systems, and is sensible.

True, unless a client can predict what encoding has been used by [any other possible] client
platform, things will break. Establishing a standard seems the only way to do this.

> These platforms issues should be isolated in the client -- as I note
> Chris is doing.

Then all clients should be converting whatever their "native" character set to UTF-8 before
sending up to the server.

Gary