[Box Backup-dev] Extended attributes on FreeBSD 5/6

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 02:45:17 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:33 +0000, James O'Gorman wrote:
> Right, got it. Is ACL support in the pipeline, or is that way in the
> future (or a complete nono)? While it's not necessary obviously it would
> be nice if we could have it.

I have no plans to do any specific work on ACLs since they are supported
on Linux due to their xattr based implementation. I don't mind adding
new features if they come without too much effort while doing other
related work (like restructure the attributes code which is planned),
but not otherwise. Always happy to help others though.

> I had another look and as well as sys/acl.h there's a sys/extattr.h.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/sys/ has these files.

Well the interface is definitely unique - different header, very
different function names. However, the parameters are similar so it's
possible it might not be hard to support the xattrs. Can't tell without
reading the man pages though.

First you'd need to find out if xattr support on FreeBSD gets you acl
support anyway.

Cheers,

Martin.