[Box Backup-dev] A new problem with diffing large files?

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 18:46:31 GMT 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 18:40, Gary wrote:

>> The data in each block is only compressed and encrypted just before
>> it's required for sending to the server. Block sizes are small enough
>> for this not to be a worry.
>
> Yeah, that was my understanding as well. So, with server-side block
> compress+encrypt guaranteed
> under 300 seconds (approx. default SSL timeout), and client-side
> KeepAlive() transmitting data
> between client and the server over SLL during diff,

Yes.

>>> what else is there that could have probably failed?<<
>
> Let's assume for the moment that a network timeout event has
> occured during upload (after a
> successful diff). Shouldn't Box fail the whole upload in that case,
> and never report "Send
> Finished()"? (as it did in my log file?).

It's entirely possible. If the stream is being sent, then there will
be quite a bit of it in the buffer (at the OS socket level) waiting
to go when the actual Finished command is sent. So if the OS doesn't
realise until a bit later, after the log message, then you might see
what you saw.

But it's repeatable, so it can't be that. But I really would like to
see the server logs.