[Box Backup-dev] Makefile.extra?

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 13:31:23 GMT 2006

Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 12:46 +0000, James O'Gorman wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure most/all Linux distros install perl to /usr/bin/perl too?
>
> Yes. Given it's so fundamental to so many things it would seem odd to
> put it anywhere else. :)

Yes, I did think that. I have seen some people posting on the FreeBSD
lists though who like to do strange things like change PREFIX to
/opt/$PORTNAME

> The Linux Standards Base essentially says that /usr is for stuff
> compiled by distributors, /usr/local by users, and /opt for third party
> ISVs. Most people take that to mean anything properly packaged goes
> in /usr, anything make install goes in /usr/local, and commercial binary
> things not properly packaged go in /opt. For once a standards
> organisation doing something sensible. :)

Ah, right, OK.

> PREFIX clean is good though, and I'd be interested in taking any fixes
> back into mainline.

My current "fixes" basically replace /usr/bin/perl or perl with ${PERL}
- the ports infrastructure then replaces that with whatever the make
PERL variable is set to (bsd.port.mk sets it to /usr/local/bin/perl by
default).

Ben's suggestion of autoconfing it seems good though.

James