[Box Backup-dev] Makefile.extra?

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 17:24:44 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 17:17 +0000, James O'Gorman wrote:
> I agree in principal, but maybe this is because my knowledge of compiled
> programs is slim, but what difference would it make to use a #define?
> You would still have to recompile wouldn't you? Excuse my ignorance if
> I'm completely missing the point here.

Ben's right, you never pass C source code through autoconf. We've got
dozens of autoconf macros already and they're all #defines of course.

The issue isn't about recompiling, it's about making changes. Autoconf
only substitutes in files when you run configure. You really aren't
going to do that after every change to a source file!

> OK. Should I work from HEAD or from the 0.10 release? (In which case
> which revision is the release? That commit email seems to have
> disappeared into the ether since Alaric blew everything up...)

Make the change to a checkout of the latest trunk. We can always merge
it back to a branch for 0.10 if needed.

Don't use svn diff by itself in this one case though. As I said before,
the diffs aren't really useable. Give the list of mv commands, then the
diffs of just the changes on top of that.

Cheers,

Martin.