[Box Backup-dev] Makefile.extra?

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 18:57:09 GMT 2006

On 24 Feb 2006, at 18:34, James O'Gorman wrote:

> Martin Ebourne wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 17:17 +0000, James O'Gorman wrote:
>>> I agree in principal, but maybe this is because my knowledge of
>>> compiled programs is slim, but what difference would it make to
>>> use a #define? You would still have to recompile wouldn't you?
>>> Excuse my ignorance if I'm completely missing the point here.
>> Ben's right, you never pass C source code through autoconf. We've got
>> dozens of autoconf macros already and they're all #defines of course.
>
> OK. I'll need someone's help with that then. I'm assuming C++
> doesn't let you do "easy" string concatenation like Perl.

If you have

   #define PERL_EXECUTABLE "/usr/bin/perl"

and you want to change the string constant

   "perl somescript.pl args"

to use it, you would use

   PERL_EXECUTABLE " somescript.pl args"

This should fit all of the cases in the code, which is restricted to
the test environment anyway. The runtime does not require perl,
except to configure it.