[Box Backup-dev] Makefile.extra?

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 12:14:05 GMT 2006

OK, I've been having a better look at this.

Ben Summers wrote:
> 1) It's really nasty to use this for cpp files, because to make a change
> you've then got to ./configure again, which means a complete rebuild.
> There must be a way to get autoconf to put the path to perl in a
> #define, in which case you can use that instead.

I take it you still wouldn't want #define @PERL@ in the .cpp file -
which means there'd need to be something in infrastructure/m4? In which
case, I think Martin may have to look at that, if possible. I really
have no idea what's going on there!

> 2) There are lots of scripts which need parsing. Maybe it would be nicer
> to modify makebuildenv.pl to go through and modify the first line of
> every perl script?

This bit is certainly doable. My Perl-foo is at least half-decent! (I hope.)

To make sure the path to perl is right though, should I move
makebuildenv.pl to makebuildenv.pl.in, set the first line to #!@PERL@,
and then set something like: my $perl_executable = @PERL@; ?

James