[Box Backup-dev] Windows ACLs

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 22:43:32 GMT 2006

On 26 Feb 2006, at 22:36, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how Windows ACLs, owner and
> group should be stored by Box?
>
> I'm guessing that extended attributes would be the way to go, but
> I'm not familiar with them and I don't know how to store them in a
> way that makes sense and doesn't conflict with other potential
> uses. Perhaps as attributes named 'win32.owner', 'win32.group',
> 'win32.dacl.administrators',
> 'win32.dacl.everyone', ...?

Err... see BackupClientFileAttribute.cpp. Note how the first member
of attr_StreamFormat is AttributeType. I suggest you add
ATTRIBUTETYPE_WINDOWS and then create a attr_StreamFormat_Windows
which contains whatever information you need.

Can't you use a Windows API to serialise and deserialise the ACLs?
Just use that with the one word header. Using extended attributes
would be a huge amount of work for little gain.

In 0.20 I want to change this to an arbitrary number of attribute
blocks, each with size and type headers. This approach will make it
easy to fit in with that later.