[Box Backup-dev] Windows ACLs

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 23:10:13 GMT 2006

Hi Charles,

>> Can't you use a Windows API to serialise and deserialise the ACLs?
>
> Not if you want to stand a chance of applying them on a machine other
> than the original, no.
>
> The only time I can see storing Windows ACLs has any use is if you want
> to backup an entire machine so that you can restore it as a whole later,
> and I'm not at all sure that's a role for Box.

In the example that Pete gave, he needed to restore the data files for
some tax software that had been lost in a hard disk crash. Presumably
those files had a DACL on them to protect them from being read by other
users. Doesn't it make sense to try to back up and restore that DACL, just
as we back up and restore file permissions on Unix?