[Box Backup-dev] COMMIT r299 - in box/trunk: . infrastructure lib/backupclient test/raidfile

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 12:10:35 GMT 2006

Ben Summers <ben at fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
> I have committed a test which I think does basic coverage of the
> necessary functionality within test/bbackupd. It should print a
> warning about xattrs not being supported on a Linux which has it in
> the kernel but not enabled on the filesystem. (although I haven't
> tested this)

Spotted this thanks. So far it doesn't compile so a fix will be on the way. :)

> I have had to adjust the code a bit to allow xattrs to be read under
> Darwin, as the behaviour is a little different to Linux. It should
> still work under Linux, but be slightly less efficient. I doubt
> making it more efficient is worth the increased complexity.

Yep, all looks ok, though there is a very unlikely failure condition
I'll correct when tested.

>> I'm pretty sure Solaris uses large file support the same as linux
>> (suspect that's where linux got the idea from).
>
> Don't you just love all the wonderful little differences?

Absolutely. I was reading an article yesterday "Windows more secure
than Unix". It wasn't on MS's website so I had to read it for comedy
value. Turns out windows had something like 800 security alerts last
year versus 3000 for unix. Of course therefore windows is more secure!
Not a mention that unix is actually dozens of quite different operating
systems even on an optimistic scale.

> I wonder if the interception could be done more reliably using a
> LD_PRELOAD_LIBRARY (or DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES +
> DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE on Darwin)?

Sounds like a good idea, though I've got too many other things on to
make a stab at that myself.

Cheers,

Martin.