[Box Backup-dev] Moving trunk to release

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 13:18:38 GMT 2006

On 6 Jan 2006, at 13:06, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> Ben Summers <ben at fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
>> Right then, I think it would be nice to get a release out there
>> by  the end of the month. Let's aim for a code freeze in two weeks
>> on the  20th, a week of testing, then a release on the 30th.
>>
>> * Sort out interception in test/raidfile
>>
>> * Type changes: review, test, merge
>>
>> * State saving for frequently restarted operation
>
> What is the issue here?

bbackupd keeps state in memory. If it's restarted, it needs to scan
the entire store before it can do any backups. This is rather
annoying for desktop and laptop users. The solution is to dump state
to a file before exiting, and loading it when starting up.

There's a patch floating around which does this, but it needs to be
reviewed and adjusted before it can be accepted. If it can be done in
time, it would be rather nice to have it.

>> * Check compiler warning messages, eliminate where possible
>
> Most/all on linux are printf problems. May get to ostream convert
> with the logging stuff depending on how that progresses. Otherwise
> I'm happy to leave this for 0.11 since it isn't really vital.

Agreed.

>> * Boxi integration? (Chris said he wanted to do something, but I
>> don't remember seeing specifics)
>>
>> * Logging
>>
>> * Test on all platforms
>>
>> Have I missed anything?
>
> I think it's very important we get a fix in for large files being
> diffed causing the ssl layer to die. I don't think Gary (?) is
> working on this at the moment, although it would be a good chance
> if he or someone else could.

Sounds sensible. I believe this one is slightly non-trivial though,
as the current patch which does work in the signal handler has major
problems.

Perhaps we should encourage any interested users on boxbackup@ to try
a version from SVN?

(I've added the task list to the wiki page, BTW)