[Box Backup-dev] Moving trunk to release

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 21:40:38 GMT 2006

Hi Ben and all,

> Right then, I think it would be nice to get a release out there by the
> end of the month. Let's aim for a code freeze in two weeks on the 20th,
> a week of testing, then a release on the 30th.

Excellent! The only problem (for me) is that I'm away from tomorrow until
the 16th (and I still have to do my tax return), so I won't have an awful
lot of time for testing.

> * Type changes: review, test, merge

I've split this into two parts:

Fundamental type changes and missing includes, which might break some
platforms, but look correct to me, can be seen with:

   svn diff
   http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/vc2005-compile-fixes@254
   http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/type-changes

Feel free to reject these changes if you don't like them, and I'll work
around the compiler warnings with typecasts.

The remaining changes consist of:

* Moving Visual Studio 2003 project files from the root directory to
   infrastructure/msvc/2003

* Added Visual Studio 2005 project files in infrastructure/msvc/2005

* Win32-specific changes (lib/win32/emu.* and #ifdef WIN32)

* Casting to the destination type in assignments, which should be verified
   for correctness and loss of precision/signedness

* Not including unistd.h, sys/socket.h, pwd.h, process.h and dirent.h on
   platforms which don't have them (autoconfiscated)

* Disable some buffer reallocation traces on Win32 (can they be disabled
   on all platforms?)

* Catch exceptions when deleting mpCommandSocketInfo on all platforms

* Using ::iterator instead of ::const_iterator in
   bin/bbackupquery/BackupQueries.cpp, where non-const methods may
   apparently be called on the iterator

These changes can be seen with:

   svn diff
   http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/type-changes
   http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/vc2005-compile-fixes

> * Boxi integration? (Chris said he wanted to do something, but I don't
> remember seeing specifics)

There are two things I would like to see for Boxi, but I understand that
there isn't much time before the freeze, and I'm not expecting them
to make it into the trunk in time. They are:

* The changes in http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/boxi/ merged into
   trunk, including the separate command socket manager, which makes it
   possible to abort an in-progress backup using the command socket.

* Refactoring the parts of BackupDaemon which actually perform backups out
   of BackupDaemon. They are SetupLocations(), SetupIDMapsForSync(),
   DeleteUnusedRootDirEntries(), and the iterator that calls
   mpDirectoryRecord->SyncDirectory(). The reason for this is that I have
   to almost duplicate that code in Boxi, and I would like to share as much
   code as possible with Box Backup, but I can't have a BackupDaemon
   object. These changes haven't been written yet.

> * Logging

I may not have time to get this done before the feature freeze, sorry.

> * Test on all platforms
>
> Can I have volunteers to test on platforms, who will sign off a platform
> for the release?

I don't know exactly what you are expecting for platform tests, or whether
you would consider me qualified to sign off, but I'd be happy to test and
sign off on Win32.