[Box Backup-dev] Moving trunk to release

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 23:27:48 GMT 2006

Hi all,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Ben Summers wrote:

>>  Working from the tarball you supplied for me, boxbackup-0.09-gary.tar.gz,
>>  and the released bb 0.09 tarball, I can generate a patch for your
>>  modifications. If you like, I can upload a patched copy to SVN for the
>>  other developers to browse.
>
> That might be handy!

For your patching pleasure, you can now view Gary's work with this
command:

svn diff http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/gary/boxbackup-0.09 \
 	 http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/gary/boxbackup-0.09-mod

> There was lots of and lots of stuff happening in a signal handler! There
> is only a small number of things which are supposed to work inside a
> signal handler. And I doubt that OpenSSL would like being called
> reentrantly for the same connection.
>
> Obviously this will tend to be fine because most of the time it'll be
> running the algorithm which hardly uses syscalls, but when it does go
> wrong it will go bang in mysterious ways.

OK, I will try to track it down and see if I can suggest anything.

I take it that the safest (perhaps the only safe thing) to do in a signal
handler is to set a flag?

Would it be OK to modify the diffing algorithm to either (1) check a
global flag, or (2) check wall time periodically, and to call a callback
function which would send a keepalive to the server?

Also, does someone want to take the lead for applying this to (a copy of)
the trunk, or should I?