[Box Backup-dev] Moving trunk to release

Gary boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 15:29:41 GMT 2006

Chris,

> Would it be OK to modify the diffing algorithm to either (1)
> check a global flag

If my memory serves me, this is how it works now. A time-based interrupt handler modifies a global
flag, and the diffing process stops itself as soon as it detects the flag change. However, the
problem is that you cannot RESUME the diffing process, thus there is no way to set the flag, have
the diffing "pause", and then tell it to pick up where it left off. Thus, my code was calling the
KeepAlive in the interrupt handler, and KeepAlive was happily carrying on once the interrupt
handler returned.

> or (2) check wall time periodically, and
> to call a callback function which would send a keepalive to
> the server?

Well, we can either think of the KeepAlive as a "part" of the diffing process (in which case the
callback mechanism becomes a part of the diffing process), or we can introduce more "generic"
process to keep any BoxBackup sub-process capable of pause/resume. This decision will either mess
up the code for future releases, or standardize it (that's why I do not want to just drop yet
another QFE patch into the new trunk, I've done it once already and we now have trouble).

> Also, does someone want to take the lead for applying this to
> (a copy of) the trunk, or should I?

I will, if I have to, but I do not know the new source structure, not SVN, and I simply do not
want to mess up others' work :).

Gary