[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup] First official Win32 release

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 21:14:41 GMT 2006

Hi Ben,

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Ben Summers wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2006, at 01:30, Martin Ebourne wrote:
>> >  svn diff -r 323:326 \
>> >  http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/diff-timeout-and-ssl-keepalive
>>
>>  I've read through that diff, all looks plausible to me.
>
> Fine by me too.

Great, could someone commit it to trunk please, or give me the go-ahead to
do so?

>>  I take it the windows specific functions don't use off_t? If so then
>>  detect the windows functions, and make AC_SYS_LARGEFILE conditional on
>>  their absence. If present then just set the largefile define(s).
>
> I thought the posix emulation stuff "just worked" for large files on
> Win32?

In my tests with MinGW, it didn't seem to. As far as I can tell, the MinGW
headers always define off_t as "long" (in sys/types.h) which will be 32
bits on all 32-bit platforms. I found some mailing list discussions that
told users who wanted large file support to use the Windows-specific
functions:

* http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/largefile/win32libc.html
* http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2004-01/0091.html

It seems that we use off_t in quite a few places in Box. Would it be
acceptable to replace these with something like LargeOffset_t?