[Box Backup-dev] An idea for the 0.10 release

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 03:47:55 GMT 2006

Hi Gary,

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Gary wrote:

> Here is an idea for the 0.10 release: how about having BoxBackup define
> "backup [folder] sets" that would allow for easy switching from, say, a
> fast-backup set (small files only) to a complete backup set (small and
> large files)? In the current version the only (?) way to do this is to
> shut down the bbackupd and restart it with a different config file (thus
> losing the state-save information, as well). Specifying a backup set
> name with bbackupctl (sync) would be useful.

Great idea! But I don't think it should be in 0.10, unless you've already
implemented it. IMHO, we've already delayed the release long enough
without adding brand new features.

> Just wondering if others have been running into this as well.

Yes. I was considering using multiple config files, but backup sets would
be cleaner.

Perhaps the SyncAllowScript could optionally output the name of the
fileset (folder set) to run a backup for? Then it could depend, for
example, on your location.

Normally, Box Backup would flag all files not contained in all sets as
deleted when it backs up a set that doesn't contain them. Will they just
be flagged as undeleted the next time they are backed up, or will they
have to be uploaded again? Preferably, in this situation, we wouldn't
change their flags at all.