[Box Backup-dev] Windows branch

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 20:15:53 BST 2006

Hi Pascal,

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Pascal Lalonde wrote:

> If I may state my opinion, I too find that it would be a good thing to have
> one official tree where you can get a stable version that works for either
> *nix or Win32.

I agree, but I had to make some big changes to the Windows code and I
absolutely did not want to destabilise the main tree in doing so. I am
intending, and I hope that others are too, that when these changes are
finished (which will be very soon) we should merge them back into the main
tree and abandon my tree.

> It gets a little confusing as to what version/revision/branch to use
> when it comes to win32.

You can follow the instructions on the Wiki. The stable branch has many
known bugs on Win32, of which almost all are fixed in my branch, to the
best of my knowledge.

> I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do, but there are still issues
> with basic things like compare and error reporting that are unresolved.

In my branch, the major unresolved issues are locked files and large
files. I'm working on it. The other issues are less major ones, documented
on the Known Bugs page.

If you are aware of any issues that are not listed on the Known Bugs page
[http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Known_bugs_in_the_Win32_client],
then PLEASE tell me about them now.

> Am I the only one worried about this?

Definitely not. Compares are very important, in fact I would say they are
an essential part of any backup strategy.