[Box Backup-dev] Hello all - win32 client

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 19:16:04 BST 2006

Hi Nick,

> This is probably leads to the need for support two platforms! You can't
> remove personal opinion! Not sure why you cannot distribute binaries
> produced by MSVC?

Because of the redistributable nightmare with managed assemblies. Users
need to install vc_redist.exe, which is not distributed with VS2005 and
not officially available for download from Microsoft, and it's not clear
whether it can be used with open source software at all. Certainly not
with GPL software, including Boxi, which means that in any case I will
need to use GCC for Boxi, and that means that Box has to compile and work
with GCC for me.

Also, the redistributable is huge (8 MB if I remember rightly) and also
requires the .NET runtime to be installed, which is even bigger.

If others wish to help by providing patches for VC support, then I'll
happily apply them. If others wish to distribute VC binaries, then they
are more than welcome to do so, but I will not.

> In this day and age 2GB files are not uncommon, so it needs doing - I
> will have a look and assess it.

Please do, and let me know. It seems that lib/common/FileStream.cpp
already uses Win32 APIs rather than POSIX, so maybe it does work in
theory, but users have definitely reported problems (see the Known Bugs
page).

> Still trying to compile though and it barfs on no BoxVersion.h, where is
> this supposed to be or got from.

Run getversion.pl in infrastructure/msvc. I made this run automatically
from a build event in the VS2005 project files, but I have no idea how to
make this happen on VS2003. If you can fix the project files to run it
automatically, please send me a patch.