[Box Backup-dev] Compile BoxBackup under Debian Woody failed

Roy boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 15:43:47 BST 2006

Martin Ebourne wrote:
> Roy <boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl> wrote:
>> With Ubuntu you have apparently BDBv4 packages. With Woody I don't. And
>> if I try to install BDBv1 dev-packages, apt-get wants to remove a lot
>> of thing:
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>  apache-dev g++ g++-2.95 libc6-dev libexpat1-dev libncurses5-dev
>> libpam0g-dev libpcre3-dev libreadline4-dev libstdc++2.10-dev
>> libwrap0-dev libxaw7-dev  xlibs-dev zlib1g-dev
>
> Depending on your point of view, it could be argued that uninstalling
> a bunch of dev packages is a non-issue. You can always reinstall them
> again later, bit of unnecessary downloading perhaps. You cannot loose
> any functionality from uninstalling -dev packages.
>
> On your earlier point this bdb version check should be a warning not
> an error, to allow box to still be built without it.
>
> I'll look at this when I get chance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin.
Hi Martin,

I suppose I didn't look at the packages that apt-get wanted to remove.
Most of them are indeed dev packages. But don't I need g++ (g++-2.95),
or is Box written in C and not C++?

And if I compile Box with BDB v1 support, then it expects it at runtime
I think. Won't I run into problems later if I want to compile something
else and all those dev packages are reinstalled? Logically I would say
no, only bdb dev package will be deinstalled and box will run fine without.

Gr.
Roy