[Box Backup-dev] [Doc] First document checked in

Per Thomsen boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 22:36:33 GMT 2006

I have checked in the first rough cut of the Installation Guide, which
contains the latest installation documents from the Wiki. Here are the
sections I included in the book:

    * What it is how it works
    * compilation and installation
    * Compilation and installation by building an RPM on Linux
    * SSL Notes
    * Windows notes (only the VC++ section; looks like the Mingw section
      was missing)

I prepended the BSD license to the document. I assume that is OK to do.
Also not sure about who to name in the license.

I specifically did not add Pete's Debian build section. As his section
states, it's an addition to the 'Compilation and Installation' section
(chapter, really), so if Pete can help merge the two in chapter 2 of the
existing guide that would be great. Or, if it seems more appropriate,
add another Appendix with the Debian/DeMuDi build instructions.
Otherwise, I will get to it later.

I have been looking at tools to do the conversions from DocBook to HTML
and man-pages (don't know if there's interest in PDF), and it looks like
openjade is the thing to use. I will be doing more investigation into
it, in the near future, as I try to build a DSSSL stylesheet that will
make the HTML look like fluffy.co.uk. Seems quite reasonable to work
with, from what little I've looked at it so far.

It seems like we should at least think about how the documentation is
made a part of the build process:

When is it built? As a part of making the source distribution, or on
each developer's machine, when building from the distribution package? I
prefer that the HTML/PDF/man-pages are created as a part of making the
distribution, to cut down on the dependencies for building Box.

I think we should have a task somewhere on our list, that deals with
adding make targets and scripts to do the required format conversions.
It's probably early to start that task now, but I want to make sure that
we have it on the 'list'...

Finally, here is the list of documents I would like to produce:

    * Build and Install Guide (checked in today)
    * Administrator guide
          o configuration (big topic; client, server, RAID, certs,
            regexes, etc.)
          o Use (restoring, changing configs, adding accounts, resizing
            accounts, monitoring, etc.)
          o Troubleshooting / FAQ
    * Man Pages
          o bbstored
          o bbstored.conf
          o accounts.txt (???)
          o raidfile.conf (???)
          o bbackupd
          o bbackupd.conf
    * Published FAQ
    * Known Bugs

I'm planning on having the cut&pasted version of the Admin guide in SVN
this weekend sometime, and then some DSSL stuff as well.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen at reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561