[Box Backup-dev] FreeBSD Port PR Submitted

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 17:38:01 GMT 2006

On 21/3/06 08:56, Ben Summers wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2006, at 22:35, James O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> For those interested, you can track the progress of the PR here:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/94752
>>
>> I'm also pleased that I found quite a clean way of patching for the
>> perl fixes. There are now only two patch files in the port (as opposed
>> to 29!); one to patch configure.ac and one for BoxPortsAndFiles.h (to
>> make the config dir PREFIX-clean). All other perl path updates are
>> done using sed in the Makefile itself (see the post-patch: target in
>> the diff).
>
> Thanks for producing the port. It sounds like it was a little non-trivial!

It was a little more difficult than the 0.09 port, but worth it.
Hopefully it might work as a framework for Net/OpenBSD ports too, but
I'm not sure how similar their systems are.

>> At some point I was thinking about writing a shell or perl script as
>> an interactive wrapper around bbackupd-config, bbstoreaccounts,
>> raidfile-config, etc. (Not necessarily all in one script). I will
>> probably add this to the port when I get around to writing it, but
>> depending on its usefulness, would it be something worth having as
>> part of the official release?
>
> What extra would it provide? I'm all for including useful things in the
> distribution.

Mainly just prompting the user/administrator for information. I
frequently forget command-line arguments, or the order they should be in
so I tend to write wrappers around them to prompt me for the information
and then passing it to the actual command in the right order.

For example, with bbackupd-config, you have to supply location of the
config files, lazy or snapshot mode, account number, server name, backup
information location and directories to backup. My wrapper prompts you
so you don't have to remember what goes where, and validates the input.

Here's an example of what it might do (this is an actual script I
whipped up last night):

% ./bbackupd-admin

Backup mode (lazy|snapshot) [lazy]: foo
Enter lazy or snapshot
Backup mode (lazy|snapshot) [lazy]:
Backup server: fooserver
Backup account: 9hme
Account must be a hex number
Backup account: a1
Backup dirs: /etc foo bar /usr
foo is not a valid directory; must be an absolute path
bar is not a valid directory; must be an absolute path
Backup dirs: /etc /usr

Backup mode:    lazy
Backup server:  fooserver
Backup account: a1