[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup-commit] Re: #15: boxbackup should run e-mail notify script if server can't be contacted

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 17:15:26 GMT 2007

trac at fluffy.co.uk wrote:
> #15: boxbackup should run e-mail notify script if server can't be contacte=
> ------------------------------------+-------------------------------------=
--
>   Reporter:  david at readingroom.com  |       Owner:  ben
>       Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new
>  Component:  bbackupd               |     Version:  0.10
> Resolution:                         |    Keywords:
> ------------------------------------+-------------------------------------=
--
> Comment (by pthomsen):
>
>  I have nagios plugins that check if the server is accepting connections,
>  and if the client is running, based on the pid file.
>
>  In my case Nagios handles the notification.

Hey everyone, trac is not a good discussion forum, please use the =20
mailing lists!

Also please use trac for bug reports and tracking work done, not for =20
feature requests unless you include a patch (wishlist items go on the =20
wiki). I won't close this ticket because I like the idea so I might =20
implement it myself if noone else does. Patches gratefully accepted. ;)

As to the alternatives, this monitoring belongs on the client. The =20
server cannot know if the client is a laptop that has been switched =20
off, and nagios is far too heavy a requirement for this warning, which =20
should be standard (I run nagios myself so I know this).

It is already sysloged in this case as suggested but that's really not =20
enough, again I know this because it's happened to me and I've not =20
noticed.

Cheers,

Martin.