[Box Backup-dev] "setlimit 0 (...) back with vengeance

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 22:28:39 GMT 2007

Hi Martin,

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Martin Ebourne wrote:

>> This is a client-side problem. We should probably treat a limit of zero
>> as a special case on the client, and ignore it, trying to stay below
>> the hard limit instead in this case. In fact, we shouldn't even be able
>> to exceed the hard limit, so this should be very easy to implement.
>
> It's not clear to me how it can behave like this for soft limit of 0 and
> not be broken for other softlimit values, whatever they may be.

It's not clear to me what's wrong with that? Please could you give an
example?

> I haven't looked at the code, but if the client is trying to stay below
> the soft limit that sounds wrong to me.

Well okay, soft limit plus 1/3 of the hard limit. Seems to be a fairly
arbitrary threshold. See bin/bbackupd/BackupClientContext.cpp line 190:

 	if(loginConf->GetBlocksUsed() > stopUploadThreshold)
 	{
 		// no -- flag so only things like deletions happen
 		mStorageLimitExceeded = true;
 		// Log
 		::syslog(LOG_WARNING, "Exceeded storage limits on server "
 			"-- not uploading changes to files");
 	}