[Box Backup-dev] Background backup: Sync of directory listings

Dominik Herrmann boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 10:37:05 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I would like to ask you guys for clarification:

I have sent my whole home directory (worth some 5GB of data) to the
backup store and started the bbackupd client in background mode, so that
it continuously monitors my home dir for changes.

What I observe from the logs is that every time the connection to the
server is lost (e.g. by putting the Macbook into standby and waking it
up again), boxbackup seems to download directory listing information
from the server for a really long time (I have many directories; takes
>10 Minutes). Is that really the case?

My poor client is synching more than 60 minutes per day - valuable time
which might be better used for transmitting actual data.

I am sure you have thought of that: Why don't you store a cached copy of
the last known directory structure on the client. Then you could speed
up this synching process enormously by checking the md5 checksum of the
whole data structure. In most cases the structure on the server and on
the client shouldn't be different, right?

Maybe I am thinking in too simple terms... Was just my 2ct.

Regards,
Dominik