[Box Backup-dev] Background backup: Sync of directory listings

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 21:19:23 GMT 2007

Hi Gary,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, G. wrote:

>> I am sure you have thought of that: Why don't you store a cached copy
>> of the last known directory structure on the client. Then you could
>> speed
>
> Yes, bbackupd retains a cache, but the cache is lost every time you
> shutdown and restart it. The option above will attempt to save that
> information to a file and restore it on the next startup.

Please could you explain to me how that works? In
BackupClientDirectoryRecord.cpp, we download a directly listing if our
cached checksum of the directory contents doesn't match the current
checksum, i.e. something has changed in the directory locally, or we just
created the BackupClientDirectoryRecord object so it has no valid
checksum.

However, the StoreObjectInfoFile does not backup the
BackupClientDirectoryRecord objects, so after bbackup is shut down and
restarted, they will be recreated, with no checksum, and all the directory
listings will have to be downloaded again...

Also, I think that in this case, Dominik is not shutting down bbackupd
(please correct me if I'm wrong), but rather suspending his laptop during
a sync. When the laptop is resumed, the SSL connection will have failed,
so bbackupd will end the sync run with an exception, and delete the
StoreObjectInfoFile.

So for both reasons, I doubt that this suggested change will have any
effect on Dominik's problem, but please correct me if I'm wrong.