[Box Backup-dev] Background backup: Sync of directory listings

Dominik Herrmann boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 01:03:27 GMT 2007

Chris, Gary,

> Yes, thus if Dominik has a lot of, say, single-byte, single-file changes, but in a large number of different directories, the slowdown is unavoidable.

I don't think I have such a lot of directories or files. It's just the
usual home directory, you know. Some 3-4GB of data spread in some
100.000 files (source code, html docs, binaries, media). Of course, a
small files tend to stick together spread over many directories. But
they usually do not change often.

I will try to observe the behaviour more closely in the following days
and get back to you.

You guys are doing an incredible effort here. Box backup is the first
open source networked backup solution which actually works for me. So
far, I have only seen really big scale applications (like from emc.com)
which are comparable in terms of functionality.

Please keep the good work up. Maybe you should put some donation link on
your website. I would be one of the first to use it :)

Best regards,
Dominik