[Box Backup-dev] Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 10

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 13:43:48 BST 2007

On 27 Jun 2007 18:35:04 James O'Gorman <james at netinertia.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:04:40PM +0100, Ben Summers wrote:
>>  I'm running 0.10 on Solaris Express Developer Edition 5/07. I had
>> issues
>>  with the OpenSSL installed by default as it's the one with the
>> bug which
>>  causes blowfish encryption to fail. (And is fixed in their source
>>  repository.)
>>
>>  I solved it by using the OpenSSL from Blastwave, which does work.
>
> Ah, OK. Are you using the stable or the unstable tree? I'm drafting a
> page for the wiki with all this information.

Forgot to mention. Unstable tree.

>>  My configure line was
>>
>>  ./configure --with-ssl-headers=/opt/csw/include/openssl
>>  --with-ssl-lib=/opt/csw/lib LDFLAGS="-R /opt/csw/lib"
>>  --prefix=/opt/boxbackup
>>
>>  and it did actually pass the tests. The -R ... bit is necessary to
>>  force the runtime linker to choose the blastwave version, not the
>>  system version.
>
> Ouch. Might it be a good idea that we require people to install the
> Blastwave version of OpenSSL for Solaris versions <= 10 and have
> autoconf (or something) produce the right flags automagically?

I don't know. It should just work with the OpenSSL, but we don't with
the latest version because of a bug there. I got the EVPFinalFailure
one, not a crash, so you've got a different issue. I feel this is a
temporary fix for the problem, which should go away when the Solaris
OpenSSL is upgraded.

>>  This is on x86 and a later version, so your milage will vary.
>
> I'll report back how I get on with the SPARC version.

I have a SPARC box running Solaris 10 U3, so I might give it a go
there too if you don't have any success.