[Box Backup-dev] FreeBSD issues

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 20:54:46 BST 2007

Hi all,

I've been testing on FreeBSD again to try and get the port up to date,
and the failures Per mentioned in a past thread[1] are still present in
FreeBSD/i386 6.2.

I've also tested on FreeBSD 7.0 (HEAD of the CVS tree, not yet released)
and there are a lot of warnings and failures in the tests (the main
builds appear to be fine, however). I think this is mostly due to the
import of GCC 4.2.0. The test logs can be found at [2].

Also, I can't make it link against Berkeley DB (any version). The
FreeBSD ports install bdb slightly in a non-standard way (for bdb, but
standard for FreeBSD) - instead of having everything under
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB-ver, the libs are under (for e.g.)
/usr/local/lib/db42, and the headers in /usr/local/include/db42.
Obviously this means that the --with-bdb-dir flag we use in configure
doesn't find the headers or the libs.

Is it possible to change our configure script to be more like the SSL
flags (--with-ssl-headers, --with-ssl-lib)? Having scanned through other
FreeBSD ports which use BDB, the Apache autoconf macros look reasonably
portable and (I think) license compatible, but I haven't the foggiest
how to implement it.

The final issue (although isn't major as I can use
--enable-gnu-readline) is that configure still doesn't seem to want to
play with FreeBSD's version of libedit (7.0 recently synced libedit from
NetBSD and that isn't detected either).

I'm a little confused looking through /usr/src as there seems to be a
contrib/libreadline[3] as well as a lib/libedit[4].

I know I'm asking a lot and giving little back so if anyone can give me
pointers on how to do some of this myself I'm more than willing to do
so, although most of it does seem beyond my knowledge! (If it helps I've
gone and tidied the wiki up a little today...)

James

[1]:
http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup-dev/2006-February/000877.html
[2]: http://users.netinertia.co.uk/jamesog/boxbackup/