[Box Backup-dev] Re: Learning from ZFS (fwd)

Wout Mertens boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed May 9 15:58:55 BST 2007

Just some general comments on this discussion.

1. ZFS does do compression, and you can even send from an
uncompressed ZFS to a compressed ZFS and it will work. See http://
blogs.sun.com/mmusante/entry/zfs_compression_and_you for an example
of this.
I was surprised to discover this myself, I assumed that compression
was part of the highest ZFS layer but it seems that it isn't.

2. ZFS will have encryption at some point in the near future. Perhaps
the encryption could be ignored for the moment.

3. Perhaps you can reuse the http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com zfs on
fuse efforts, that code should be easier to port

4. One thing that would really rock if extra code were added that
only stores blocks with the same checksum once. ZFS currently doesn't
have that, but I think it's technically feasible to do something like
that.

Apart from that, great ideas in this thread, keep em coming ;-)

Wout.