[Box Backup-dev] Re: [Box Backup] ChrisMerge_1828

Peter Jalajas, TebucoSafe Backups boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 21:21:00 BST 2007

Hi Chris,

> Which log messages need full paths?

In the past, when we launch the service on Windows, and we view the Event Viewer records, we just
see a filename with no path, which was hard to debug.  But, with your new LogAllFileAccess, I
guess I could say ignore this request--nevermind.

> > Piling on here a bit...again...

I'm trying to think of a way to help prevent clogging our clients' outbound pipes during the
backup of large files during the day.  I'm thinking that maybe there is an obvious spot in the
code, into which you could put a configurable few milliseconds of sleep between uploads of file
blocks?  (Upload a 2K block, sleep, upload the next block, sleep, and so on. If my math is
correct, a 100MB upload at 300Kbps would take about 40 minutes to upload, hogging the pipe.  That
file would have 50,000 2KB blocks, and so, adding a 10 ms sleep after each 2KB block upload would
insert about 8 minutes of bandwidth availability into that 40-minute period.) (Maybe later
versions could have that sleep time different for different dayparts.)

I'm setting up your S3 account now...

Thanks, Chris,
Pete