[Box Backup-dev] Re:BoxReport.pl (was ChrisMerge_1828)

Matt Brown boxbackup-dev at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 20:08:11 BST 2007

Hi Chris,

>> The script can be run by hand with or without command line
>> parameters (will default to the last found backup in the log
>> file). Script does require ExtendedLogging = yes to get the data
>> it needs.
>
> You might want to look into using LogAllFileAccess messages instead
> of ExtendedLogging. ExtendedLogging might be slower (it's on the
> network path) and LogAllFileAccess should include full paths in
> each message. It's also more readable, IMHO. Hopefully the output
> is not difficult to parse.

If only I get the LogAllFileAccess to output something :( - I did try
without ExtendedLogging enabled, I then had very little output at
all....

I am right in thinking merge_1828 contains that code ? I did try to
checkout yesterday but failed miserably.

In addition please overlook my rather silly schoolboy error of
leaving a valid email address in the code - it was not intentional.

>> -- Chris I might try altering the code for the backup-client to
>> call boxreport.pl if it finds ReportScript = /usr/local/bin/
>> boxreport.pl (or similar) in bbackupd.conf (if I can work out how
>> to do it :-) that way I can get the the report to generate and
>> mail right after the backup has completed rather than having to
>> wait for cron etc.
>
> There should be no need for that, now that we have backup-start and
> backup-finish hooks for NotifyScript. When NotifyScript is called
> for backup-start, it could record the current time. When called for
> backup-finish, it could generate a report from the backup-start
> time to the current time.

Ahhh.. good thinking :-)

Thanks for the feedback...

Regards